Dental Implant Advantage
Dental implants restore missing teeth to their most natural condition. The concept behind dental implants is exactly the same as natural teeth. Implant teeth, like natural teeth, anchor to the jaw bone. This is the most important difference between implant teeth and other methods of teeth replacement such as dentures and bridges.
Traditionally missing teeth were replaced with either dentures or bridges. Today, replacing teeth with dentures or bridges is no longer the best option or even an acceptable one. Dental problems associated with these kinds of restorations are complex and varied.To make a bridge for 1 missing tooth, the 2 adjacent teeth should be drilled down to half the size. This is a destructive process and results in tooth sensitivity and decay on those 2 teeth. In reality 2 healthy teeth are destroyed to replace one missing tooth. The final restoration is a 3 tooth bridge that connects one drilled down tooth to another, with one artificial tooth in the middle. Using dental implant technology, the same missing tooth can be easily replaced with one dental implant, and without any damage to any other teeth in the mouth. The restored implant tooth is individually supported and is not connected to adjacent teeth.
Dentures are also associated with numerous problems. They are bulky, and unstable in the mouth. Because they constantly move during chewing, they are inefficient in masticating solid foods. People using dentures are forced to limit their diet to soft food. They avoid vegetables, fruits, nuts, meat and other essential nutrients that are important for their health and well being. This results in systemic disorders such as digestive and cardiovascular disease.
Because dentures are bulky and cover a lot of surfaces in the mouth, including the palate (roof of the mouth), they interfere with speech and block the sensation of taste.
Dentures often have a clicking sound during chewing which may be embarrassing for people who have them.
People wearing dentures should remove them from their mouth after each use to clean them. This reminds them every day that they have artificial teeth. The emotional and psychological impact of this is profound.
Use of denture adhesives to hold dentures in the mouth is quite uncomfortable and has an adverse physical and psychological impact.
These are some of the problems associated with dentures, but by far the most serious problem is facial bone loss and premature aging. This bone loss results in collapse of facial structures, and make the person look much older. For more detail about bone loss read Dr. Khazian’s article “FACIAL BONE LOSS AND PREMATURE AGING“.
Dental implant advantages are:
- With dental implants you can eat all the food you like. Eating with implant teeth is just like natural teeth. Your diet will not be limited to just soft food.
- Implant teeth feel, function, and look like natural teeth.
- Unlike bulky dentures, implant teeth have the exact size and anatomy as natural teeth
- Unlike bridges, implant teeth are not attached to, and do not damage other natural teeth.
- Maintenance of facial bone. Dental implants prevent bone loss. This is due to stimulation of the jawbone by the chewing forces transmitted by inserted implants.
- Improved chewing ability. Dental implants provide a solid and stable foundation for new teeth. Patients are able to eat without worrying about moving or loose dentures.
- Improved phonetics. Eliminating bulky, loose dentures, improves phonetics significantly. Dental implants feel like natural teeth and patients actually forget they have missing teeth.
- Improved psychological health. Having dental implants is like having a new set of natural teeth. With all the comfort of eating, talking, and socializing without the fear of embarrassment, the individual’s self image is tremendously enhanced.
- Improved esthetics. By preventing bone loss, often through bone repair and replacement, implant procedures significantly improve facial esthetics
- Regained chewing awareness. Dental implants directly transmit chewing forces to the jawbone, which helps patient’s chewing awareness. With dentures, the roof of the mouth (palate) and all gum surfaces are covered, which prevents taste and chewing reception.
- Maintenance of muscles of chewing and facial expression. A sound, healthy bone structure is vital for intact overlying facial muscles. By preventing facial bone loss, dental implants maintain the integrity of facial muscles.
- Increased retention and stability of dentures. With dental implants, loose, instable dentures can effectively be anchored to jawbone and provide stability and retention.
- By using dental implants, the use of denture adhesives can be eliminated.
- The long term success rate of dental implants is impressively high (close to 100%)
From the replacement of a single missing tooth to extensive reconstruction and replacement of several or even all teeth, Dental Implant Centers offer the healthiest and most intelligent treatment solutions. We provide the most comprehensive treatments for dental implants in San Diego. Both surgical and restorative phases of your dental implant treatment are performed by Dr. Khazian. There will be no referral back and forth to another doctor or office. This means a more consistent, smoother, and faster dental implant treatment.
Call for a free consultation: 866-469-7645 or click here
San Diego Implant Dentistry Home | Cosmetic Dentistry in San Diego | Dental Implants in San Diego | Implant Dentist in San Diego | Implant Dentist Associations in San Diego | Dental Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry Forms | San Diego Dental Implant Smile Gallery | San Diego Cosmetic Dentistry Smile Gallery | San Diego Dental Implant, Implant Dentistry, and Cosmetic Dentistry FAQs | San Diego Implant Dentist News | Articles about San Diego Dental Implants, Implant Dentistry, and Cosmetic Dentistry | Contact San Diego Implant Dentists
San Diego Office: 3969 4th Avenue, Suite 205 San Diego, CA. 92103 Tel: 866-469-7645 (Serves all of | San Diego Counties and Coastal Areas From La Jolla to Del Mar.) Escondido Office: 727 East Grand Avenue Escondido, CA. 92025 Tel: 866-469-7645 (Serves all of San Diego North County Including San Marcos, Rancho Bernardo, Poway and Vista)